In addition to the Santa Susana Field Laboratory, radiological operations were also conducted in the Vanowen Building of the Canoga Avenue Facility from December 1955 through late 1959. The Vanowen Building was the first headquarters of Atomics International (AI). In late 1955, AI was formed as a division of North American Aviation. AI performed R&D into the peaceful uses of nuclear energy. Between 1956 and 1960, this work was performed at the Vanowen Building at the Atomics International (now under the United Technologies Pratt-Whitney umbrella) facility on Canoga Avenue in Canoga Park, CA . Principal work performed at the Vanowen facility included design, development and operation of small, aqueous, 93% enriched uranyl sulfate, reactors, named L-47 and L-77; reactor design, fuel development for the SNAP program, and radiochemistry. In 1960, AI moved to its new facility on De Soto Avenue, and all radiological activities were transferred to De Soto. The following link provides a summary of operations, radiological building surveys, environmental surveys, and Atomic Energy Commission and Nuclear Regulatory Commission license termination correspondence.
Nuclear operations at the Vanowen facility were licensed and inspected by the Atomic Energy Commission. The Atomic Energy Commission terminated the licenses for Vanowen operations when operations ceased in 1960. In 1996, the Nuclear Regulatory Commission confirmed that the reactor operating licenses for L-44 and L-77 were appropriately terminated by the Atomic Energy Commission, and that no further action is required. In 2005-06, the Vanowen Building was demolished, yet the rest of the facility is still standing and operational under the United Technologies Pratt-Whitney umbrella.
Dr. Walter and Janet Hamilton at the Rocketdyne Canoga Physical Chemistry Lab.
J-2 Assembly Line at Rocketdyne Canoga
The J2 Assembly Line at Rocketdyne Canoga Avenue Plant
1960 Rocketdyne Display in the Canoga Lobby
Canoga Facility in 1960 - Jupiter Ballistic Missile (IRBM) Assembly Line
Congressman James C. Corman Visits Canoga Rocketdyne in 1967
Dr. Walter and Janet Hamilton at the Physical Chemistry Lab Career Day with Student Cindy Green.
Dr. Walter Hamilton and Dr. Tex Denton's Patent for work they created at Rocketdyne.