The Neosho, Mossouri plant was originally owned by the United States Government (designated Air Force Plant No. 65) and operated by the Rocketdyne division of North American Aviation.
It opened in late 1956 and became the first plant to be built solely for the production of rocket motors. Beginning in 1968 the manufacturing plant’s use changed to manufacturing and testing jet airplane engines and testing and refurbishing used jet airplane engines.
Employing approximately 1,250 workers, the plant produced MA-5 booster, sustainer and vernier rocket engines, H-1 engines and components for the F-1 and J-2 rocket engines.
Rocket engines and components were tested at an on-site test areas located approximately one mile from the plant.
The plant is located at 3551 Doniphan Drive, Neosho, Missouri.
The maximum rocket engine production rate of 29 units per month at Neoshop was reached in November 1961.
The rocket engine and component testing area featured two test stands, each having two test positions. Photo date July, 1958.
The stands were used mainly for the testing of the liquid rocket engines produced at the site. Additional testing supported research and development activities. Photo dated July 1958.
Howard, D., 2014. Astronautics Year: An International Astronautical and Military Space/Missile Review of 1964, Pergamon Press, Pg. 148.
Baker, N.L., 1958, Thor engine reaches production tests, Missiles and Rockets, July 7, 1958, pg. 23.
See also Mike Jetzer’s website featuring additional information on the Neosho site and a great deal more. http://heroicrelics.org/neosho/index.html